Walnut Arugula Pesto
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Dressings and Sauces
- 1 cup prepared walnuts*
- 3 cups fresh Arugula
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated hard cheese (manchego, parmesan, grana padano)
- Dash fresh lemon to taste
- Unrefined sea salt and pepper to taste
- *Prepare walnuts by soaking them overnight with a pinch of sea salt in luke warm water.
- Drain walnuts and dry on a tea towel before using. Walnuts can also be dehydrated to return them to a crunch state. They can also be toasted to bring out more of a nutty flavor. Dehydrate them in a 200⁰ oven for 2-6 hours on a cookie sheet in a single layer. They can then be toasted in a 350⁰ degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until just fragrant. Check them often to prevent burning.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Finish with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.