Italian Egg Drop Soup
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Soups
Cuisine: 4 Season
- 2 quarts homemade chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 4 large organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens divided
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped arugula, any tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, chickpeas, scallion whites and nutmeg in a Dutch oven; and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce to medium-low heat to simmer.
- While stirring the soup constantly, slowly whisk in eggs; cook for 2 minutes. Eggs will begin to look like feathery strands once fully cooked.
- Stir in ⅓ of a cup of Parmesan and the arugula and cook until arugula is wilted, about 1 minute. Turn the heat off completely and stir in the scallion greens and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with more Parmesan.