Cocoa Roasted Almonds
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Sweets
Cuisine: 4 Season
- 3 cups whole raw almonds (properly processed *see note)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of pink Himalayan sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of liquid stevia extract
- ⅛ cup xylitol crystals or large sugar crystals (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250◦
- Melt oil in large shallow skillet or omelet pan over med-low heat. When oil is completely melted, add vanilla and stevia extract and stir lightly to combine. Add almonds to the pan and toss to coat. Once all almonds are glossy, sprinkle with raw cacao powder and toss until all the almonds are evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt and move to a cookie sheet. Spread almonds out in a single layer and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove the almonds from the oven and toss with xylitol crystals if desired. Allow nuts to thoroughly dry before storing.
- *Note: To make almonds more digestible, soak overnight in room temperature water with a pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt. Drain almonds and dehydrate in single layers on cookie sheets in a 150◦ oven or in a dehydrator until almonds are dry and crunchy (about 6-8 hours). Process in large batches and store in the freezer until ready to use.
Boost nuts with more nutrients and flavor by adding a teaspoon of maca root powder, or mangosteen powder to the raw cacao powder before adding to almonds.