Asparagus and Almond Soup
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Soups
- 1 lb asparagus spears (reserve a handful of tips)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 quart organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (optional)
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon of dried dill
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon (optional)
- Sautee onion and shallot in Dutch oven with a touch of olive oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic and almonds and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add asparagus to stock pot. Sauté asparagus for 2-3 minutes with onion mixture. Add in enough stock to just barely cover asparagus and Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree with a stick blender or remove from heat and when soup is cool enough to handle (10 minutes or so), use a slotted spoon to transfer soup solids to your food processor. When the majority of the solids are loaded, puree until smooth and transfer back to the pot. Return pureed soup to medium heat and add in fresh dill, salt and pepper and vinegar. Simmer for 1 minute. Garnish with asparagus tips, lemon, and dill.
- Serve either warm or chilled, garnished with the reserved asparagus tips.