Spring Green Quinoa Salad
Bring this to any potlluck, party, or picnic. Everyone will love this salad.
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Salads
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (try equal parts black and white or red and white quinoa)
- 1 cup fresh diced strawberries (optional)
- 1 cup asparagus (steamed, roasted or raw)
- 1 cup arugula or fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh mint (optional)
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 green onions or fresh chives, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon whole grain or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup fresh goat cheese, or feta cheese
- Toast rinsed quinoa in dry iron skillet over med-low heat for 5-10 minutes stirring constantly w/ a whisk. Add 2 cups veggie or chicken broth and cook for 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool, or turn off the heat, throw in chopped asparagus and cover to allow heat from quinoa to lightly steam (but not cook) asparagus while you prepare everything else.
- Chop onions, slice strawberries, arugula, and mint. Combine to cooled quinoa and asparagus, add almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in the oil. Add the dressing to the salad and douse with juice of half a lemon. Toss with a little salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cheese.
- Serve immediately or chill, covered tightly, for several hours or overnight. Top with the cheese right before serving.
Roast asparagus while the quinoa cooks. Simply place spears in a 400 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes or until spears are tender. Allow to cool before trimming off fibrous ends and chopping into ½” pieces.