Red lentils offer an interesting twist on a health and clean dip everyone can enjoy.
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups organic broth of choice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (or to preference)
- 1 inch kombu, or teaspoon of sea veggie on hand (optional)
- 2 green onions, or ⅛ cup onion variety such as leeks, red, white, shallot, etc
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, cumin, or any other sharp herb of choice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lemon juice to taste
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium saucepan bring rinsed lentils, broth, and kombu or sea veggies to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook lentils covered for 20 minutes. Strain lentils in a colander or mesh sieve and allow to cool for a few moments in the sink. In the meantime, process onions in food processor until fine. Add lentils, even if they look a little runny. Reattach lid to food processor and continue processing while streaming in the oil and spices. Add lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: If using mashed lentils or beans as a side dish, add only one tablespoon of oil.