Dashi, is a fundamental ingredient to making a traditional miso soup. I substitute broth for water to make this version more flavorful and nutrient dense.
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Soups
Cuisine: 4 Season
- 2 (4-inch) square pieces kombu
- 2½ quarts vegetable of chicken stock
- ½-ounce bonito flakes or katsuobushi, about 2 cups
- Put the kombu in a 4-quart saucepan, cover with the stock and soak for 30 minutes.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the bonito flakes. Simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheese-cloth or a paper towel. Reserve the bonito flakes for another use.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 1 week or freeze for up to a month.