Banana Coconut and Cashew Cream Tart
Author: Jessica Idleman
Recipe type: Sweets
Cuisine: 4 Season
- For tart shell
- 1½ cups whole pecans
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1½ cups pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- For filling
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and thoroughly drained
- ½ cup water (or substitute with unsweetened coconut water or unsweetened coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, and more to taste
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 or 4 ripe but firm bananas
- Make tart shell: Coarsely chop pecans and salt in a food processor. Add dates; pulse until thoroughly combined, 15 to 20 seconds. Add syrup; pulse just until combined and mixture sticks together. Press nut mixture firmly and evenly into a 9-inch pie plate, wetting your fingers as needed. Set tart shell aside.
- Make filling: Grind nuts to a coarse paste in a blender. Add water/milk, syrup, and vanilla scrapings; blend until smooth, about 5 minutes, scraping sides as needed. Mixture should be the consistency of thick pancake batter. Set aside 2 tablespoons coconut; add remaining coconut to blender, and process to combine. Pour into prepared shell, spreading evenly.
- Just before serving, thinly slice bananas on the bias; arrange in slightly overlapping rows, beginning at edge of tart. Sprinkle with reserved coconut; allow to set for about 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.